PHONE NUMBER MAIN: 734-941-3495
MAIN FAX NUMBER MAIN: 734-941-3251
This bureau is an essential part of traffic safety and quality of life for the City of Romulus and its residents. The City of Romulus is home to a large trucking and commercial base as well as Detroit Metropolitan Airport. Two major freeways, I-94 and I-275, run through the city resulting in high volumes of both commercial and passenger vehicle traffic. The City is still considered semi-rural as manay of the roads are two lanes but still have high volumes of traffic. These circumstances increase the crash rate and impact quality of life for the residents. It is projected that traffic volumes will continue to increase as the commercial and residential areas grow.
The bureau consists of four traffic officers and a Sergeant. All five are trained by Michigan State University in crash investigation and reconstruction. Three of the team members are evidence technicians.
The bureau also consists of a Romulus High School liaison officer and a juvenile officer. The juvenile officer also is school liaison officer to the Alternative High School.
The duties of the unit are outlined below.
- Investigates serious and fatal traffic crashes.
- Investigates crimes involving motor vehicles.
- Reviews traffic law changes and updates the police department members and community members.
- Enforces commercial vehicle violations for weight, licensing, and safety.
- Investigate crashes involving City vehicles.
- Handles all school bus violations reported by school bus drivers.
- Completes traffic evaluations on city streets and intersections.
- Assists the Special Investigations Bureau with crime scene investigation.
- Assists the Special Investigations Bureau with search warrants and dynamic entries.
- Provides security for special events such as Pumpkin Festival, Romulus High School Homecoming Parade and July Fourth festivities.
- Supplement Road Patrol on an as-needed basis to assist with call for service volume.
- Investigate juvenile cases and follow up.
- Maintain security at Romulus Schools and Romulus Alternative High School and assist with school events.