Community Development Block Grant


The City of Romulus participates in the Wayne County - HUD - Community Development Block Grant program, as a sub-recipient. We are one of 34 communities currently receiving Federal funding through our County program. Every year the City applies for these federal funds for an important program or need for our Community. For example, a few years ago we received funding to buy a new fire truck to replace our aging stock, but we always apply for and receive public service funding to operate our Senior Chore program.

Senior Chore Services- CDBG

We have received $20,000 per year for the last several years, to be used for Senior Chore Services. These funds are available to low and moderate income qualifying seniors and physically challenged residents. This program provides lawn service and snow removal, as a supplemental service to our seniors, free of charge. If you would like to know more, please visit the Senior Services tab for information and an application. For more information you may also call the center at (734) 955-4120.

Wayne County CDBG Housing Rehab Program is on hold until further notice

Housing Rehabilitation- CDBG 

Another program that we have provided through CDBG funding over the years, has been housing rehabilitation. Income qualifying residents may apply to have their homes brought to up to safety codes, by applying for this program. The County program is a no-interest forgivable loan. Your house may be brought up to minimum housing standards and a temporary lien would be placed on your property until all the Wayne County requirements are met.   

This program is no longer administered by the City of Romulus, but through Wayne County directly. The City of Romulus only provides information intake for the application, but the request is sent to Wayne County, to administer the program. Click here for an application and if you are interested in finding out more about this program, please call the Romulus Community Development Department at (734) 942-7545, or Rick Gowan, at the Wayne County Housing Rehabilitation program at (313) 224-5107.