Goals & Objectives
Tax Increment Finance Authority (TIFA) Plan Vision
To plan for the proper use of tax increment financing dollars in a manner that will creatively, positively, and pro-actively contribute to the economic development and redevelopment of the Tax Increment Finance Authority District of the City of Romulus.
Goal Number 1
Offer improvement projects that seek to visually enhance the City and reflect its character thereby creating an attractive, memorable environment for businesses and residents.
- Create enhanced gateways into TIFA development areas with landscaping and entry signage
- Install streetscape improvements along major corridors
- Acquire land for open space and/or natural resource preservation
- Enhance imposing physical structures such as bridges, towers, and rail lines
- Eliminate blighted structures and obsolete structures such as abandoned buildings, utility poles, billboards, and certain residential in airport flight path
- Accommodate opportunities for public art and creative design
- Improve the appearance of street signs
- Screen and enhance the perimeter of large development sites such as plants, the airport, and outdoor storage
Goal Number 2
Improve the quality and diversity of the transportation system in the City to ensure convenient and enjoyable access to the City's important destinations.
- Conduct necessary traffic analysis to best understand level of service and capacity issues
- Improve the condition of roads
- Widen roads where necessary
- Control access and driveways along major roads. Coordinate enhancements with road improvements
- Provide sidewalks and pathways throughout the TIFA district that link sites and major destinations
- Incorporate enhancement efforts into sidewalk system
- Address barriers to access such as the expressway and rails roads
- Consider and accommodate alternative modes of circulation such as transit to and through the City
Goal Number 3
Expand and improve the services and facilities offered to the residents and businesses to improve the quality of life in Romulus.
- Upgrade and expand public safety services such as police and fire to better serve emergency needs. Improve parks and recreation opportunities
- Advance the services and equipment of the Department of Public Works to facilitate improved maintenance
- Update the City's water and sewer main system
- Improve the flow and treatment of storm water drainage
- Accommodate environmental protection, mitigation and clean-up as applicable
Goal Number 4
Initiate research, planning, and other efforts to improve understanding of resources and opportunities in the TIFA district.
- Conduct a study of the City's utility system to understand its future and current needs and to ensure long term durability
- Amend the zoning ordinance in a manner that promotes successful implementation of this plan
- Prepare necessary sub-area planning documents to focus specific development strategies on certain areas
- Consider opportunities for private/public partnerships in order to accomplish planned projects
- Develop an image promotion and marketing plans and materials for the TIFA
- Identify grant and other funding opportunities to assist with financing